Tips to Prevent Firearm Suicides
The County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency launched a unique approach that recognizes the gun-owning and gun-selling community as partners in the efforts to prevent suicide. The result: an informative website and a brochure and poster that emphasize the warning signs of suicidality and offer gun safety tips, distributed at firearm retail locations throughout the county.
If you are concerned about a loved one who may have access to a firearm and is suicidal:
- Visit StopFirearmSuicideSD.org today to find out which gun shops and ranges are partnering in the San Diego County Gun Shop Project.
- Learn more about how to legally store a gun with a friend or family member.
- Request a free gun lock.
- Learn the warning signs of suicide, find the words to have a critical conversation with your loved one, and learn about local resources that can help.
- Always keep firearms locked with the ammunition stored separately.
- Remember that teens and even younger children often know where the key is kept, so store the key safely too.
The San Diego County Gun Shop Project brochures and posters are adapted from materials originally created in New Hampshire by NAMI-NH and the Firearms Safety Coalition, and have also been used in many other western states.