Questions to Ask Yourself (and Your Therapist) to Find the Perfect Fit
Whether you are experiencing a mental health challenge yourself or seeking to help someone you care about, one of the first steps is reaching out and connecting with support. You might begin by consulting someone you already know and trust—a primary care physician or spiritual counselor perhaps. They can then assist in finding someone qualified to help you work through specific issues you are experiencing.
Remember, help is available and accessible. Call the Access & Crisis Line at (888) 724-7240, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day for additional support, including referrals to professionals who can begin the process. You might also check out additional resources at Up2SD.org.
While doing your research, here are some crucial questions to ask yourself as well as any prospective therapists you seek to interview:
- What issues do I want to work on? What are my goals?
- Do I want individual or group therapy?
- What style of therapy is best for me right now?
- How much time and money am I willing to commit to this?
- What kind of insurance coverage do I have for therapy?
- What kind of therapy do you practice and how will this particular therapy help me with my specific problems?
- What experience do you have assisting people with my goals?
- What do you consider a success?
- What are your fee and cancellation policies?
- What do you find most satisfying about working with clients?
- What do you enjoy most about the relationship and process?